About this recipe:
I came across this recipe in Gourmet magazine and remember making it a long time ago. This is such a divine little pie that I couldn't resist, even though its made with wheat and gluten, I needed to cheat just this one time.
• two 9 x 6 inch sheets of puff pastry
• 2 - 3 stalks of rhubarb
• juice of half a lime
• juice of a whole orange
• squeeze of agave nectar
• peel of one orange
• little canola oil spray for greasing cookie sheet
Preheat the oven to 400F.
1. Thaw the puff pastry according to the instructions on the box.
2. Cut the rhubarb stalks in 1/8 slices, at a 45 degree angle to create thin long slices.
3. Mix the juice of half a lime, orange and agave nectar in a mixing bowl, add rhubarb to this mixture and let it soak for at least 10 minutes.
4. Arrange the rhubarb slices so that they are slightly overlapping on the puff pastry, leaving an uncovered edge on all four sides. Save the juice that they've been soaking in.
5. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes or until the pastries are nicely golden brown.
6. Transfer the soak juice to a small sauce pan, bring to a boil and simmer for at least 15 minutes until the consistency turns into syrup.
7. Take the pastries to a cooling rack, cool for 5 minutes.
8. Brush the syrup onto the pasties and sprinkle with orange peel.
Makes 2 large pastries that can be cut to 6 pieces.